Wednesday, May 20, 2015

OFF-BEAT: Best Tunes of All-Time

I was compiling a list of my favorite tunes of all-time (for an upcoming roadtrip) and it got me thinking about what my top tunes would be.  For anyone who knows me, trying to break that down is like picking a favorite child.  I own a LOT of music, both CDs and through iTunes.  It's almost unhealthy (it's better than drugs, right mom?)  Anyways, I think I've narrowed down the list to my Top 11 Tunes of All-Time.  (11 was my football number, for those who weren't at that post-game party 15 years ago).  Let the countdown BEGIN!

#11. Papa Roach - Do or Die
One of those gems that you find at the end of an album.  This is off the "Getting Away With Murder" album and I've always gravitated to songs with a positive life message (you'll get that feeling through this countdown).  "It's never too late / To live your life / The time is now / It's do or die" is pretty awesome.  The beat gets your foot tappin' and it's definitely one of those songs that makes you wanna drive 180 down the highway (but I don't because I'm a law-abiding citizen).  Enjoy!



#10. Matchbox Twenty - Bright Lights
Now to go to the polar-opposite of "Do or Die".  "More Than You Think You Are" was an album that came out while I was starting university and remember listening to this song, thinking I wasn't going to be able to handle life in the "big city" (yes it was Lethbridge but for me, that was the big city).  Plus I'm a sucker for good piano and a sing-along chorus.  Check and check!



#9. Black Stone Cherry - Remember Me
I could technically plunk almost any BSC song in here and I'd be okay with it.  This is one of my favorite bands of all-time and, while this is a fairly new tune, it's quickly become of my favorites.  A sing-along chorus (which I can actually sing along with thanks to my deep voice), crunchy guitars and a breakdown near the end (after the last chorus) that gets you rockin'.  Southern rock at its best.



"A Little More Off-Beat"
Just to give you a bit of a breather, I should be clear that there are a ton of other songs I love.  For example, I have a playlist on my iPod called "Chillout Mix", which are tunes that I can pretty much always fall asleep to.  And there are some songs that I think would shock a few people that I even own.  For example: Chantel Kreviazuk's "Imaginery Friend", Dave Matthews Band's "Crash Into Me" and Doc Walker's "Beautiful Life".  All are wonderful tunes that I recommend if you're looking for something to relax with.

#8. Shinedown - In Memory
A few people would probably be surprised that this band isn't higher up on the list.  Again, another band I could pick any song from and would be okay with it.  This is off their first album "Leave A Whisper" and no one really knows it.  I have no idea why, but when Brent Smith sings "Because I can't wait for you / To catch up with me / And I can't live in the past / And drown myself in memories", it makes my spine tingle.



#7. Meatloaf - I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
This might surprise a few people, but I believe Meatloaf is one of the best singers of his generation.  Plus rock operas are awesome.  And this song screams exactly that.  I remember listening to this song on my Walkman going out to Christmas in Queenstown, singing along.  Totally forgot everyone else wasn't listening to my music.  But I didn't care.  And how this song goes from quiet to a full-blown orchestral bombardment of music: epic!



#6. Our Lady Peace - Right Behind You
I had to get some Canadian content in here.  Okay, that's a lie.  Going back to that theme of songs that inspire me with positive life messages, this is it.  "No matter what you say / No matter what you do / No matter what I'm always / I'm right there behind you" is like a mission statement from me to the people I hold close to my heart.



#5. Alter Bridge - One Day Remains
Talk about driving tunes, this is another one of 'em.  Off their debut album, 3 members of Creed along with Myles Kennedy formed a bond that became one of my favorite bands of all-time.  They have failed to disappoint me.  And again, the lyrical content in the chorus is what draws me to this song.  "Because I see in you / More than you'll ever know / And I ask you why / You question the strength inside / And you need to know / How it feels to be alive" is powerful in my mind.



"More Off-Beat Ramblings"
Just breaking things up again.  Before we went with chillout tunes.  And now we go with the "punch a hole in the wall" tunes.  My tastes can get pretty heavy.  I'm not a black metal guy, but I do like a good heavy tune.  I have the standards like Metallica, Pantera and Godsmack (among many others).  Slipknot's "Spit It Out" comes to mind (I would never get myself into a moshpit with them on stage though).  Trivium's "Strife" and Killswitch Engage's "My Curse" get me going as well.

#4. Badfinger - Baby Blue
This one might stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of these songs.  I remember seeing something about this, written in my baby book that my parents put together and it seems to me the writing was my dad's.  I don't remember the story behind the song, but I do know the Badfinger greatest hits album was one of the first CD's we ever owned as a family and I always gravitated to this song.  I think of my dad every time I hear this song.  So how can I not like it?



#3. Collective Soul - Under Heaven's Skies
Another one of those bands that I could pick any tune from and it'd be awesome.  The "Youth" album is still one of my favorites, as it's solid from front to back.  It's not a typical rock song, but it doesn't matter what mood I'm in, it always seems to put a smile on my face.  And it's extra big when you have a live version like this one, with an orchestra.  Everything is better with an orchestra.



#2. Pearl Jam - Betterman
I'm gonna take a lot of flack for this but I was never really a big Pearl Jam fan until I saw them live.  Newfound appreciation for them.  I still rank this song as one of my top five "saw in concert" moments.  It was in Rexall Place and when they started playing this song, the lighters went up, lit the whole place up, then the crowd started singing.  It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  It was insane.



And finally...

#1. Foo Fighters - Everlong
No one should be surprised that this song is at the top of my list.  This is my favorite band.  This was the first song I taught myself how to play on guitar.  It's the perfect rock song and the title is kind of appropriate given how you want it to be everlong.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear seeing this song played live and probably will in August.  Because it just makes me so happy.  Doesn't matter the mood I'm in, the Foo Fighters make me smile.



As it turns out, I have something in common with David Letterman, as two of his last guests happened to be Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters.

Anyways, thanks for tuning in and we'll be back to our regular-scheduled politics and other random ramblings next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment