Monday, November 26, 2012

Can't I Vote "For" A Candidate?

As I watched the results roll in to declare the new MP for Calgary-Centre, I couldn't help but feel a little at odds with how I approach elections as compared to others.  And frankly, I'm not sure whether to be surprised, saddened or indifferent.

You see, for as long as I've been able to vote, I've voted for the individual candidate.  I know that's sort of backwards in party politics, but it's still a firm belief I have.  What does each candidate stand for?  What does each think about a certain local issue?  What will each candidate do for the riding outside of being "the voice"?  Yet, in the last few elections (municipal, provincial and federal), I've heard less-and-less about what each stands for.  What have I heard more of?  It's become more of why I SHOULDN'T vote for the "other guys".

Take the last provincial election in Alberta.  During the campaign, we heard much more about why we shouldn't vote for the PC's or the Wildrose.  "They've been in power for too long and need to go."  "They're bigots."  "They're corrupt."  "They're unproven."  Sound familiar?

I've also been front and centre for the Calgary-Centre byelection.  And the same can be said here.  "Why would you vote for the Liberals?"  "How can you support a candidate who doesn't go to forums?"  Especially in this case, you saw a lot of "connecting the dots" between the local candidates and the parties they were representing.  Some tried to paint Joan Crockett with the same brush as Rob Anders.  Harvey Locke was implicated with the comments of Justin Trudeau and David McGuinty.  It was never "this is why our candidate is the best".  Even on the doorsteps (yes I live in Calgary-Centre), I had multiple run-ins with volunteers who could answer the reasons as to why I shouldn't vote for other candidates, but when I asked simple questions about where the candidates stood on specific issues, some had a tough time.  I wish I could make this up.

Admittedly, this is a bit of an extension of one of my previous posts asking for better from ALL politicians/supporters.  I know some didn't like that because it's "what opposition is for".  And, yes, I understand it all.  But it begs the question: do we actually vote FOR a candidate or AGAINST the others?  Is it a matter of picking the "lesser of two evils"?  How often do you hear "I'm only voting for X because I don't want Y to get in"? 

Doesn't that scare anyone?

I know I ask a lot of questions.  But I'm failing to see something in the grand scheme of recent elections and politics in Alberta (and beyond).  Why is it so difficult to vote FOR a candidate?

No comments:

Post a Comment